The Washington Board of Massage (Board) and the Department of Health and Health Systems Quality Assurance Division are now accepting applications from massage educators or massage school owners.
Effective June 9, 2022, all qualified individuals applying for an appointment on the Board must be a Washington resident and have at least three years’ experience in teaching or administration of direct student learning of the practice of massage. The educator or school owner member is not required to be a licensed massage therapist.
Qualified and interested individuals can apply for an appointment to the Board online. All applications must be completed and submitted online. When filling out the application form, indicate that you are applying for the Massage Examining Board.
The purpose of the Board is to:
- Protect public health and safety
- Study issues affecting massage therapy
- Regulate the competency and quality of massage therapy practitioners
Board member responsibilities include:
- Define, evaluate, and approve massage therapy schools and programs to prepare students for the licensing examination
- Review approved schools and programs periodically
- Develop rules to establish standards and procedures for approving courses of study
- Policy making, including adopting rules relevant to massage therapy licensure