July 17–23, 2022
Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (ABMP) invites you to join us July 17–23, 2022, to celebrate Massage is for EveryBody week. For more than two decades, ABMP has carved out space to specifically promote the importance of bodywork. To that end, last year we added the five guiding principles below, to help underscore our commitment to inclusion:
Because Massage is for EveryBody, we will:
- Serve as advocates for the powerful physical and emotional benefits of massage and bodywork.
- Support and advocate for efforts that bring massage and bodywork to underserved populations.
- Spread awareness of career options in the massage and bodywork profession.
- Honor the healing role practitioners play in our communities.
- Emphasize the importance of self-care, including receiving regular bodywork, for massage therapists and bodyworkers, and their clients.
$1,000 Awards Available
To honor and support massage therapists and bodyworkers, ABMP is giving away ten $1,000 awards to practitioners who live these values. Practitioners can submit an entry, in 300 words or less, and tell us how you support the Massage is for EveryBody guiding principles in your practice. Read last year's winning essays here.
How Can You Get Involved?
Participating in Massage is for EveryBody week doesn’t have to be complicated! There are many ways to partner in your community and share the benefits of massage and bodywork during this event, and simply posting the benefits of massage on social media throughout the week is a great way to advocate that massage is for every body.
Reflect and Share
Use this week to reflect on the good work you do. How do you impact the lives of your clients with your hands-on work? How does your work make a difference in the world? What is the importance of massage in your own life? Then share this with your clients so they understand the passion and commitment you bring to the treatment room.
Share on Social Media
We will create content for you to share throughout the week of July 17–23. Watch our social media pages and simply share the posts to spread the word in your community.
Take inspiration from other ABMP members who have created special ways to bring touch to their communities and plan your own unique promotion.
- For every 60-minute massage booked [during Massage Week], 15 minutes were donated to someone in need. (Amy Groner, Ohio)
- Every client [during Massage Week] received a 60-minute gift certificate to give to someone else who would benefit from a bodywork session. Advertising the promotion in advance filled her schedule! (Cath Cox, Colorado)
- Ask others to nominate a person doing good work—a volunteer, advocate, tireless worker, friend, shoulder to cry on—to receive a free massage. (Megan Spence, New York)
Use These Massage Week Materials
Share our Massage Week video, use our content, post our podcasts, implement our brochures and images for your use—all Massage is for EveryBody marketing materials available to you here, for free!
Volunteer or Offer Discounted Chair Massage
Think about the people, causes, or events that inspire you, and share your work. Here are some ideas to get started:
- Animal shelter staff
- Homeless shelter residents and staff
- Hospice care staff
- Hospital staff
- Local community events (e.g., concerts, farmer’s markets, 5Ks)
- Nursing home residents and staff
- Police personnel
- Anyone or any cause that speaks to you
Donate or Raise Funds
- Donate gift certificates or a percentage of your sales to local charities and other deserving individuals or organizations.
- Put a special tip jar in your office to raise money for a local charity or organization.
- Encourage clients to bring in canned goods to be donated to your local food bank.
- Create a Pay it Forward campaign that clients can contribute to.