Wisconsin Licensure Applications Due December 1, 2010

The Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing (DRL) is now accepting applications for licensure. All massage therapists are required to become licensed by December 1, 2010 in order to continue practicing. This is a very tight deadline but the good news is, if you are diligent in filling out the application properly, the DRL processing time is 2-3 days. Submit the application as soon as possible and you will not have a problem becoming licensed by December. Transitioning Your State Certification to a State License It is very important that you use the proper licensing application. If you currently hold an active Wisconsin State Certification issued by the DRL you should have received a postcard outlining what you need to do. If you did not receive a notice, go to the renewal section of the DRL website (https://online.drl.wi.gov/UserLogin.aspx?renewafter=true) , log in, and the system will guide you through the renewal application. New Applicants, Not Currently Wisconsin State Certified If you are not currently Wisconsin State Certified by DRL you will use the grandfathering application which can be found here: http://drl.wi.gov/docview.asp?docid=938&locid=0. Choose the qualification for licensure that best applies to you. Check ONE of the following four available avenues to qualify for a license and provide the requested information.
  1. You’ve practiced for a minimum of 10 hours a week for 10 years.
  2. You’ve passed an approved exam, either:
    • The Massage & Bodywork Exam(MBLEx) offered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards(FSMTB); OR
    • One of the exams offered by the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork(NCBTMB); OR
    • The Asian Bodywork Therapy Exam offered by the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine(NCCAOM).
  3. You graduated from a massage or bodywork therapy training program that consisted of at least 600 hours prior to June 4, 2010; OR
  4. You have been actively practicing massage or bodywork therapy for an average of 10 hours a week for at least 3 years AND you completed a massage training program consisting of at least 200 hours.
Then complete the relevant portions of the application form (8 pages total). Application Fee ALL applicants are required to complete the application and pay the $75 fee, make the check payable to DRL. CPR/AED Certification ALL applicants are required to have a current certification in CPR/AED and you will need to submit a copy of your CPR/AED certificate with your application. Make sure you sign the certificate and copy both the front and back. If you are not currently certified in CPR/AED, a list of DRL approved courses can be found here: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/ems/License_certification/CPR.htm Liability Insurance ALL applicants are required to have a minimum of $1,000,000 coverage in professional liability insurance. The liability insurance included in your ABMP membership is more than adequate. You will need to submit a copy of your current Certificate of Insurance. You can print a copy from www.abmp.com. Log in using your six-digit ABMP member number and your password (if you don’t know your password, click on “Forgot your password?” and it will be emailed to you). On the right side of the webpage, under “Account Tools and Information,” choose “Check your certificate of insurance,” then click on “Access your certificate of insurance” and print. Exempt From Licensure While specific practices are not named in Wisconsin law as exempt from licensure, there are four categories of exempt practices:
  1. Practitioners manipulating only the soft tissue of the hands, feet, and ears; and
  2. Practitioners using touch, words, and directed movement to change a client’s awareness of existing patterns of movement; and
  3. Practitioners using touch to affect the energy systems; and
  4. Practitioners using touch and education to effect change in the structure of the body while engaged in the practice of structural integration.
As long as you don’t practice massage therapy in addition to these practices, you do not have to become licensed in Wisconsin. A person who is exempt from licensure may use the terms “bodywork,” “bodyworker,” and “bodywork therapy.” For further information about the rules and regulations regarding licensing go the DRL website, Massage Therapist or Bodywork Therapist profession: http://drl.wi.gov/profession.asp?profid=143&locid=0