ABMP’s insurance carrier has seen an increase in claims from massage tables collapsing or malfunctioning while a client is on the table. In the last few years, there have been more than 20 of these claims presented for review/payment, with a total payout approaching $200,000 from these types of client injuries. An incorrect setup could result in an expense of $10,000 or more.
With this in mind, please take the following steps to protect your clients:
- Maintain your equipment. Clean it, and also make sure all the pieces and parts are operating correctly. Equipment should be checked at least weekly. (Your inspection should include checking for loose screws or bolts that may cause your table to become unstable.)
- Check to make sure your table legs, supports, and face cradle are free from any signs of wear or tear that may cause the table to break and/or collapse.
- Keep track of your inspections in a recordable format.
- Check the floors around your massage table or chair for hazards, obstacles, or any substance on the floor that may lead to a client slipping and falling.
- If you are ever in doubt of your equipment’s stability, find an alternative until repairs or replacement can be obtained.