Exceptional Massage Therapy Liability Insurance

Watch a member describe his own experience with a liability insurance claim.
> Liability Insurance For Practicing Massage Therapists
> Liability Insurance For Massage Students
> Liability Insurance For Massage Schools and Training Programs




For Professional Massage TherapistsJoin ABMP

Smart practitioners realize that, while being named in a lawsuit is unlikely, it's not worth risking your career. In this sue-happy age (especially now, considering the current economic climate), even when you've done nothing wrong, it's expensive to defend yourself. Why chance it when excellent protection is so affordable?

Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals (ABMP) offers liability coverage with the profession's highest aggregate coverages available—$2 million per incident, $6 million total per policy year. And these coverages protect you no matter where – or how many places – you work. These totals are per member, per year, not a shared member aggregate like other associations now offer. You never have to fear if the insurance coverage will be there for you.

Also included are legal defense coverage (for covered losses) and no charge for obtaining an additional insured endorsement (AIE) if requested by your employer or landlord. All this is covered by your basic membership fee.

Unlike the claims-made coverage offered by some other providers, the insurance included with your ABMP membership is occurrence-form coverage, which protects you from late-filed claims. This added feature helps safeguard your business—and your peace of mind.

In addition, ABMP has procured coverage for hot stone massage and cupping—two modalities that are not always covered through other associations.

Bottom line: ABMP's liability insurance package is a comprehensive program specifically tailored for massage therapists and bodyworkers.

Sure, you can find bare-bones insurance coverage elsewhere. But are you sure you're protected? Not all insurance policies are the same. And consider ABMP's greatest strength: helping our members. If you do experience a claim, you can expect knowledgeable, empathetic assistance to help expedite rapid resolution of your claim. Fact is, just knowing your ABMP team is ready and able to support you lets you focus on what's most important—building a successful career.

Frequently Asked Questions for Massage Professionals

How quickly can I join ABMP and receive proof of insurance?
There are several options available to speed up processing. You can apply over the phone or on our website, or you can fax a completed application to us at 800-667-8260. We must also be able to verify training/licensing if no documents are supplied. If everything is in order, the insurance is effective the following day and your proof of insurance will be available by logging in to ABMP.com. If you need proof of insurance sooner, we have three options available for an additional charge: Rush processing ($15) means that proof of insurance will be faxed or e-mailed to the party designated by the member within 24 hours. Three-Day Priority Mail Service ($15) ensures that the application will be processed and mailed within three business days

When will my insurance go into effect?
Assuming all the required information is in order, your membership and insurance go into effect the day after receipt of your application whether it is received by mail, fax, on-line or taken over the phone, and it will be in effect for one full year from that date.

What exactly does my liability insurance cover?
The occurrence form liability policy that ABMP provides to qualified members covers the member's massage operations for professional liability (client alleges malpractice), general liability (client alleges injury (accidents) due to member's negligence), and products liability (client alleges reaction to product). The insurer will also defend you if someone sues you alleging your wrongdoing in covered losses; those legal expenses are provided in addition to the policy limits. That is, legal expenses aren't included in the policy limits like some other association's policies.

Start enjoying the benefits of ABMP Membership, and join today!

> back to top

For Massage StudentsJoin ABMP

Student membership combines the protection of liability insurance, outstanding academic resources, business development tools, and the many benefits of belonging to an organization with 80,000+ members, all for the low membership fee of $45.

Frequently Asked Questions for Massage Students

Why do I need insurance? Is it really necessary as a student?
Liability insurance protects you from any incidents or claims that may occur as a result of your massage instruction/program. ABMP Student members have experienced insurance claims from massage given in the classroom as a part of their training, as well as from massage they have given in the school's student clinic, including a recent six-figure settlement.

My school says I am already insured. Why should I join?
Be sure to check with your school that YOU are protected. We have learned that many times schools believe their students are covered by their school insurance policy, when in fact they are not. For example, ABMP School membership insurance does not cover students—only the school itself. So be sure you're protected. In addition, ABMP Student membership offers a plethora of resources for school and business success.

How long does my Student membership last?
Student membership is valid for 12 months or until completion of training, whichever comes first. There is no coverage after training has been completed (unless it is a school sanctioned/approved activity).

What happens when my Student membership expires?
If you are still in school, you can renew your ABMP Student membership. If you have finished school and are ready to practice, you are ready to upgrade to our regular level of membership for practicing professionals.

In my state, I need to provide proof of insurance in order to get my license. Can I upgrade my membership? Yes. If you are in any of the following states—Alabama, Massachusetts, Missouri, South Dakota, Wisconsin—then you must show proof of liability insurance in order to get a license to practice. You can upgrade your membership when you finish school in order to receive your license to practice.

In my state, I am allowed to practice as long as it not for compensation. Can I upgrade my membership?
If your state allows therapists to practice without a license if performing massage for no compensation, then you can upgrade your membership. Your insurance will not be in effect if you are found to be practicing for compensation.

Start enjoying the benefits of ABMP Student membership, and join today!

> back to top

Massage School Liability Insurance

Join ABMPABMP School members can procure two types of insurance for their training programs--school liability and business personal property policies. The following are commonly asked questions about ABMP's School insurance program. For additional information about School membership or insurance coverage, please contact us at 800-458-2267; expectmore@abmp.com.

Only ABMP school members can obtain the optional liability insurance for their school. Information on ABMP School Membership is available here. ABMP School Membership is $250 per year per campus.

The cost of optional school liability insurance is $1,000. Find out the details of insurance for schools, contact your school liaison for one-on-one support.

Business Personal Property Insurance: With business personal property insurance, schools can protect the equipment, supplies, and contents used in their businesses. Please note that business personal property coverage is only available if liability insurance is purchased.
  • $10,000 of business personal property insurance per year—$225
  • $25,000 of business personal property insurance per year—$425

Frequently Asked Questions for Massage Schools

How can I provide the most complete insurance protection to my school?
Insurance is confusing to many people and in today's insurance climate it is even more important to know what you are receiving for your premium dollar. This is a basic overview of some of the things you should know and consider when purchasing insurance.

Liability Insurance
ABMP's school insurance program includes both general liability and professional liability for your school. First, since your school's focus is on providing massage training, you need liability insurance for massage school-related activities. You need General Liability insurance (premises/operations and products liability) as well as Professional Liability to protect the owner's personal and/or corporate assets. Anytime an alleged injury takes place in relation to school activities and is claimed to be the fault of an owner, student, or instructor, the school may be named in a lawsuit. Without General and Professional Liability insurance protection, a claim filed against the school could result in thousands of dollars in legal fees just to defend against the charges, whether or not they have merit. To protect yourself and others involved in your school, it is wise to encourage students to become ABMP Student members and faculty members to become individual ABMP members.

Business Personal Property
ABMP's Business Personal Property insurance covers your school's business contents, such as computers, tables, supplies, etc. but not your building / structure.

Other Insurance Coverage
There is no way to itemize every insurance protection that a school might need or everything that a school should look for. It depends on your individual situation. We suggest that you contact a local independent insurance agent and have them review your individual policies and needs, to make an educated decision about your exposures.

Other insurance protection that you may want to consider is outlined below: Please note that ABMP does not offer any of these insurance programs, you will need to contact a local independent insurance agent for more information.

Property Insurance
If you own the building your school is in, you will want to insure it for the full replacement cost of the building, not the market value or purchase price. If your building was built recently this coverage will be readily available. If you are in a building over 20 years old, the insurance company may require that the roof, electrical and plumbing have been updated. Replacement coverage replaces covered losses with new materials without deducting for depreciation. If you do not qualify for replacement cost you will have to purchase actual cash value coverage on your building. Actual cash value replaces covered losses based on replacement cost less depreciation.

You will want to ask for the broadest coverage that the insurance company offers, the broadest is usually called "Special Form." If this is not available due to the age of your building, ask for "Broad Form."

Ask your insurance company if they offer any special extensions or stretch forms on their property policy. Many companies will include this at either no cost or a small additional premium.

Business Income
Some policies include loss of business income for the actual loss of income for up to 12 months. Others offer it on a monthly limitation, such as $10,000 per month for 4 months. If you cannot find actual loss sustained for 12 months coverage, you may want your accountant to assist you in determining what coverage you need in order to pay bills until your school is back up and running. Depending on your location you may need flood insurance and/or earthquake insurance.

Business Auto
If you own any vehicles in the name of the school, you will want to insure them for liability and physical damage. A minimum liability limit should be $1,000,000. The deductible you carry on the physical damage is a personal choice.

Even if you do not own any autos you will still want to purchase "hired and non owned" coverage. This will protect the business should there be a claim while someone is driving their own auto on school business or if you rent or hire a car.

Workers Compensation
In most states if you have employees, it is mandatory that you carry Workers Compensation coverage and is subject to state-level regulation. This protects your school should an employee be injured while on the job for their lost wages and medical expenses as a result of that injury.

Umbrella Coverage
You may want to consider purchasing an Umbrella policy that will provide you additional coverage over and beyond what you have purchased with your primary general liability policy, business auto and Workers Compensation policies.

Employment Practices Liability protects you from claims arising from violations of state and federal employment laws.

Money & Securities protects your school from loss of money or securities caused by theft or burglary.

Employee Dishonesty protects you from theft of money by an employee.

When will my coverage take effect?
If you purchase the optional School Liability Insurance and/or Business Personal Property Insurance, coverage will run concurrently with the term of your ABMP school membership. Should you purchase coverage after the date you join ABMP as a member, you will be required to pay the full year's premium for a partial year's coverage.

Will I receive proof of coverage?
Yes. A copy of the liability insurance policy and a Certificate of Insurance are provided when insurance is purchased with School membership.

What type of liability coverage is provided by the insurance policy for School members?
Occurrence form liability insurance with the highest aggregate coverages available—$2 million per incident and $6 million total per policy year. As an ABMP member, these are YOUR limits—not shared with other practitioners, unlike members of some other associations do. Legal defense costs for covered losses are provided in addition to the policy limits.

Is there a deductible on this liability insurance policy?

Does ABMP's school liability insurance cover anything other than massage, bodywork, and somatic therapies and instruction related to these?
No. The professional liability coverage provided is for only those techniques recognized and defined by ABMP.

Each ABMP member must read the policy in its entirety to know all the terms, conditions, and exclusions. If instruction or application of unrecognized techniques is available at the school, separate insurance coverage must be acquired for these exposures.

Is the school protected against liability claims alleged to be caused by instructors, other employees, and/or students?
Yes. The policy provides coverage for the school itself as an entity for school program massage-related activities. That includes liability arising out of massage activities of registered members of the faculty or other employees when they are instructing or supervising registered students. The school (only) is also provided liability coverage for incidents caused by registered students while performing required hands-on practicum on school premises. Note: Students do not have individual liability insurance coverage under a school's insurance policy.

The insurance covers those massage-related clinics, internships, volunteer events, or other off-site practice skill development activities, which are approved by the school and are permitted under applicable state and local government regulations. As to these covered activities, the school and its agents, are protected against suits by an injured student or a third party.

Coverage is also provided to directors, officers, and employees of the school in connection with their school program massage-related duties and activities to the extent that such activities result in bodily injury, personal injury, or property damage, which is covered as defined in the policy. If an owner or instructor of a school has a private practice (even if they provide service in the school facility) they need to obtain an ABMP individual membership to provide coverage for those activities.

There is no coverage provided for non-school-related activities or for school educational activities unrelated to massage, bodywork, or somatic therapies.

Are students covered against claims that name them as responsible parties?
No. Students do not have individual liability protection coverage under the school program. The solution for students is to enroll as ABMP Student members.

Is there a fee to name my landlord as an additional insured endorsement (AIE) on my liability policy?
No. If your lease requires that your landlord be named as an additional insured on the school's policy, you will need to provide the appropriate information on the AIE section of the application. Coverage for entities listed as additional insureds applies only to those incidents directly related to the named ABMP member certificate holder (the school).

What is Business Personal Property (BPP) insurance?
BPP insurance is an addition to your policy and covers all equipment, supplies, and contents used in your business. It covers your property both on and off premises.

Do I need to give you a list itemizing equipment values?
No. Both your current property and newly acquired property are automatically covered up to the limit you select--either $10,000 or $25,000.

What type of coverage am I buying?
Your property is insured for replacement cost; your claim will be paid based on the cost of new equipment, with no deduction for depreciation.

Is there a deductible?
All losses are subject to a deductible; $500 for theft-related claims; $250 for all other related claims.

What is not covered by this plan?
Coverage is written on a broad basis with few exclusions.* Some of the exclusions include governmental action, nuclear hazard, war and military action, unexplained disappearance or shortage found during inventory, unsecured office, currency or checks, dishonest acts, short circuit or other electrical disturbance, theft from an unlocked auto, wear and tear, gradual deterioration, mechanical breakdown, insects, vermin, rodents, corrosion, rust, dampness, cold, or heat. * This is a summary of exclusions; read the entire policy for complete details of all coverage and exclusions.

What is a loss payee?
If you are leasing business equipment, the leasing company may require that you name them as a loss payee so that they are guaranteed payment in the event of a covered loss. If you have financed the purchase of your business equipment, the financial institution may also require that you name them as a loss payee.

Start enjoying the benefits of ABMP School membership, and call 800-458-2267 today to join!

Note: The insurance coverage descriptions above are illustrative only. Refer to a copy of the policy for specific coverages, limitations, exclusions, terms and conditions. This insurance information is provided by our insurance agent and the insurance company underwriting our program and is not a contract; it is a partial illustration of benefits, conditions, limitations, and exclusions. In the event that there is confusion or conflict between the policy language and any information provided, the policy language shall control.

> back to top