Video Course: Hygiene: Critical Updates for Massage Therapists
This course has closed captioning. Click "cc" on the video player to view.
Join pathology expert Ruth Werner as she reviews standard and universal precautions, teaches improved treatment room practices—including sanitation and air quality—and takes an in-depth look at pathogens and infectious diseases. View this course today to update your knowledge on how to create a safe and healthy practice!
Back to course list
- Why hygiene?
- Infection prevention
- Universal and standard precautions
- Classes of pathogens: bacteria, viruses, fungi, others
- Modes of transmission: direct contact, fomite or vector, droplets and aerosol
- Practical applications: hand care, laundry and fabric care, surfaces, other
- Air quality: Clean air delivery rate (CADR), CO2 monitor, filters, air purifiers, Corsi-Rosenthal box, ventilation
- Infectious diseases: emerging, re-emerging, current
- Hygiene audit
Having viewed the online massage therapy CE course, participants will be able to:
- Describe why hygienic precautions are important.
- List the standard/universal precautions.
- List additions to standard/universal precautions that are important in massage therapy settings.
- Describe the recommended hygienic practices for hand care.
- Describe the recommended hygienic practices for laundry care.
- Describe the recommended practices for cleaning and sanitizing surfaces.
- List the benefits of using an air purifier in a massage therapy treatment room.
- Describe the upcoming landscape of infectious disease threats.
- List at least three hygienic practices that can be implemented in a treatment setting to enhance client and practitioner safety.
Ruth Werner is an award-winning educator, writer, and retired massage therapist with a passionate interest in massage therapy research and the role of bodywork for people who struggle with health. Her groundbreaking textbook, A Massage Therapist's Guide to Pathology is now in its 7th edition and is published by Books of Discovery. Werner is a columnist for Massage & Bodywork magazine and Massage New Zealand. She teaches continuing education workshops all over the world and hosts the “I Have a Client Who …” podcast on the ABMP Podcast Network. Reach her at www.ruthwerner.com. Learn more from Ruth Werner through ABMP's Pocket Pathology quick-reference app with key information on nearly 200 common pathologies!
Topics and Techniques
This online massage therapy CE course is available to you on demand to access, learn, and earn CE whenever and wherever it’s most convenient for you!
Visit the ABMP Education Center FAQ page for a full list of resources.
Q: Is this massage therapy CE course approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) for CE credit?
A: Yes! All of the courses are approved under ABMP’s NCBTMB Approved Provider account (451086-09).
Q: How do I earn a CE certificate for this video-based course?
A: After you complete the webinar video, a quiz will appear on the page. Earn a CE certificate by scoring 70% or higher on the course quiz.
Q: How do I access my CE certificates?
A: CE certificates are available on your “My CE Transcripts” page and on the course page. Visit your “My CE Transcript” page by clicking “My CE” on the navigation bar at the top of your screen.
“Thank you for making me more aware on how to create a safe and healthy environment for my clients and myself!”
“This is one of the best courses. It’s packed full of information, and I was able to learn new stuff I wasn’t aware of. I’m impressed.”