Video Course: Balancing the Shoulder: Practical Clinic
This course is approved for Florida’s “Distance Learning Hands-On Technique” category for the 2021-2023 renewal period (CE Broker course #20-846829 for FL only).
This course provides four complete mini sessions, from BodyReading (visual assessment) to treatment strategy to technique. Learn techniques for balancing the myofascia of the shoulders, arms, and hands, from Anatomy Trains author Tom Myers. Human arms require a complex equation of stability versus mobility to balance correctly on the rib cage and spine. Problems in the shoulders can, over time, travel down into the arms and hands or up into the neck and jaw. Learn to recognize “ideal” and compensated patterns and how to tie them into the story of the rest of the body. Learn to really “see” what work needs to be done to create lasting results for your clients. This course was featured during the 2020 ABMP CE Summit.
Back to course list
- BodyReading postural assessment: left/right differences
- BodyReading postural assessment: working with past surgeries
- BodyReading postural assessment: ribcage position and front/back differences
- BodyReading postural assessment: sternum, ribcage position, and diaphragm
- BodyReading postural assessment: shoulder, neck, and diaphragm
- BodyReading postural assessment: working with injuries
- Strategy and techniques: ribcage position and front/back differences
- Strategy and techniques: working with past surgeries
- Strategy and techniques: working with injuries
- Strategy and techniques: shoulder, neck, and diaphragm
Having viewed the online massage therapy technique CE course, participants will be able to:
- Define the BodyReading philosophy and approach to the body.
- List the BodyReading Postural Assessment protocol for shoulders and arms.
- List at least three techniques for the shoulder and arm while the client is in supine position.
- List at least three techniques for the shoulder and arm while the client is in prone position.
- List at least three techniques for the shoulder and arm while the client is in sidelying position.
Tom Myers, BCSI, directs Anatomy Trains, which offers certification in Structural Integration in the US, Australia, and Europe, as well as short courses in manual therapy and functional anatomy worldwide. He is the author of Anatomy Trains (2020, 4th ed), and co-author of Fascial Release for Structural Balance (2017, 2nd ed). The Anatomy Trains myofascial meridians, which connect the muscles through the fascial fabric, is increasingly employed in a wide variety of rehabilitation and performance enhancement modalities. Tom studied directly with Ida Rolf and Moshe Feldenkrais, as well as Buckminster Fuller, movement luminaries, and European osteopaths. He has practiced Structural Integration for over 40 years in a wide variety of clinical and cultural settings. Learn more at www.anatomytrains.com.
Topics and Techniques
This hands-on massage therapy CE course from Tom Myers teaches Anatomy Trains BodyReading postural assessment and techniques for the shoulder, arm, and hand. Assessment includes identifying left/right differences, past surgeries, ribcage position, front/back differences, shoulder, neck, diaphragm, and injuries. Client techniques are shown in the supine, prone, and sidelying positions.
This online massage therapy CE course is available to you on demand to access, learn, and earn CE whenever and wherever it’s most convenient for you!
Visit the ABMP Education Center FAQ page for a full list of resources.
Is this massage therapy CE course approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB) for CE credit?
Yes! All of the courses are approved under ABMP’s NCBTMB Approved Provider account (451086-09).
How do I earn a CE certificate for this video-based course?
After you complete the webinar video, a quiz will appear on the page. Earn a CE certificate by scoring 70% or higher on the course quiz.
How do I access my CE certificates?
CE certificates are available on your “My CE Transcripts” page and on the course page. Visit your “My CE Transcript” page by clicking “My CE” on the navigation bar at the top of your screen.
"Tom Myers is amazing. He explained what he was doing in a clear and engaging way. He is an outstanding clinician and amazing educator."
"This was excellent, not just in terms of technique, but also in terms of the therapeutic interaction. Thank you!"
"This was a fantastic course and one of the most valuable courses for my practice in terms of reading, treating, and reassessing. Thank you!"
"Quite informative. Love the mixture of evaluation and technique. Felt it was easy to follow and yet had a lot of practical information."